Sunday 5 July 2009

Exam marking

I'm caught up with the joys of exam marking at the moment - only 51 more to go (yay). I thought I'd better get back in the blogging though. I've missed it. I've also decided that I want it to be a place to record all of Cara's conversation pieces.

Just over a year ago, aged 2 years and 5 months, my baby girl was referred for speech and language therapy. She had a vocabulary of about 20 words and couldn't string any together. At the time, I felt like I'd failed her in some way, even though deep down (and lots of people told me as well!) I knew I hadn't.

We had a home assessment but that was as far as it got. It was almost as though she had just been waiting for the referral so that she could prove us all wrong. Her speech came on in leaps and bounds and if you listened to her now, you'd never guess that there was ever that possibility.

So...last night, we were laid on the bed looking at each other. "Love you" I said to her. "Love you" she told me back. "Love you lots" I said to her. "Love you lots" she told me back. "Love you lots and lots" I said to her. "Love you a hundred" she told me. I think a tiny piece of my heart melted.

In the week, she was sat in my mum's kitchen watching her wash up. "Do you know the very most important thing that cavemen had?" she asked my mum. "No" my mum replied. "Washing up liquid" Cara told her.

Her favourite song at the moment is the 'a b c' song. We were singing it in the week and when we got near the end, it went something like this:
Me: "q, r, s"
Cara: "q, r, s"
Me: "and t, u.."
Cara: "Me? Why me? And you"

It's amazing how they learn it all really.

No comments:

Post a Comment